In the operating rooms at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center, surgeons have long offered robotic-assisted surgery using the da Vinci Surgical System.
Now, that system is being upgraded.
Southern New Hampshire Health (a founding member of SolutionHealth) has upgraded their equipment to the da Vinci Xi Surgical System. The da Vinci Xi Surgical System was designed with the goal of further advancing the technology used in minimally invasive surgery. The system can be used across a spectrum of minimally invasive surgical procedures and has been optimized for multi-quadrant surgeries in the areas of gynecologic, urologic, thoracic, bariatric, and general surgery.
“Our new da Vinci Xi Surgical System enables our surgeons more efficient visualization throughout the abdomen or chest,” say Beverly Primeau, MBA-RN, CNOR, CRNFA, CASC, Vice President of Surgical and Procedural Services for SolutionHealth. “And it has all of the same features as our previous model, as well as some enhanced capabilities including wristed instruments, 3D-HD visualization, intuitive motion, and an ergonomic design—allowing the surgeon complete control.”
The unique technology translates the surgeon’s hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside the patient’s body and the immersive 3D-HD vision system provides surgeons with a highly magnified view, virtually extending their eyes and hands into the patient.
Other key features of the new system include:
- A new overhead instrument arm architecture designed to facilitate anatomical access from virtually any position
- A new endoscope digital architecture that creates a simpler, more compact design with improved vision definition and clarity
- The ability to attach the endoscope to any arm, providing flexibility for visualizing the surgical site
- Smaller, thinner arms with newly designed joints that offer a greater range of motion than ever before
- Longer instrument shafts designed to give surgeons greater operative reach
“Our patients expect, and deserve, the best surgical outcomes possible,” says Primeau. “With our new da Vinci Xi Surgical System we will continue to deliver on that promise today, and into the future as it boasts an expandable technology platform that is designed to accommodate and seamlessly integrate a range of current technologies, as well as future innovations, in areas such as imaging, advanced instruments, and anatomical access. We are truly thrilled to be a leader in this field and look forward to continuing to bring minimally invasive surgical options to the Nashua community.”